Friday, July 9, 2010

What a crazy week...

Again, so much to say without enough energy to say it all.

So today is a much-needed day off after not having a weekend off as usual. I was able to sleep until 9 something (which was so awesome), though I'm still tired as I sit here lazily typing.

I already mentioned a little about Airway Heights. The fireworks was amazing; it was like having front row seats in the Civil War. But we somewhat regretted it the next day, as we cleaned up all the fireworks debris in the parking lot. We were all sore the next day.

Mystery week was continually a mystery as plans kept changing, and some days we woke up going by an hour by hour schedule (or so it seemed). We left Airway Heights on Monday and returned to the Tri-Cities for the night. Issues had been escalating throughout our road trip, and this was a night when I sort of broke down from all the chaos. There have been times when I've wanted to come home, when I've thought of all the things I could have been doing this summer instead of being here - how I could have been sleeping in, hanging out with friends, getting ready for college and not worrying about all the things I needed to do before then. But then I remembered that God called me here for a reason - for what reason I'm still unsure, but I know it will come to me soon. And I am here to serve, not to be comfortable. This trip isn't about me, and I've been making it about myself - what I wanted to do, what I didn't want to do, what I didn't want to deal with... it was selfish, really. I think that may be why I'm going through certain circumstances; God wants to show me how I need to not focus on myself so much and focus on Him instead, for He'll provide me with everything I need.

Anyways, back to our schedule. So God really spoke to me during that time on Monday night, as my partners and I were struggling with some issues - and of all things, it was through our workbook we were assigned to do through the association (which I already did last year) and none of us enjoy. He really showed me how wrong my attitude and perspective was of everything going on, and He just gave me the words to say to my partners. It was incredible and quite a relief, to say the least. But there were still issues hanging in the air, and it scared me how weak I felt. But then again, when I am weak, then I am strong, as Paul wrote.

So Tuesday we were at Camp Touchet, doing - of all things - yardwork. The weedwhacker and I reunited, though this one was way heavier, and because the strap couldn't adjust to my heigth, my arms were dead by the end of the day (yes, it was for several many hours), and my legs were bruised from where the weedwhacker had leaned up against my leg.

Wednesday was off to Idaho. We were in Craigmont mostly, doing some VBS follow up in this really small town, and I found myself falling asleep when it was most inconvenient. (I'm leaving a lot of details out partially because I can't remember it all right now, and partially because I'm writing a novel already) We then were pulled over by the Pullman (I think we crossed the border about 5 times, and every time I kept missing the "welcome to idaho" sign on my camera) police, which was interesting. We arrived in Moses Lake around 11:30 that night and got to stay in a hotel!!! (yeah, so much for "suffering for Jesus"...) Because of an unresolved issue amongst us, we stayed up until a little after 2 AM, but praise God, it helped bind us closer together, and the issue was pretty much handled.

Thursday was back in Riverside, which I was really excited about. We cleaned up the playground on the rez, and then we visited houses for a survey. It was so great to see God moving through the rez, as people were open to having a Bible study!!! Only a few were hostile, but I was so grateful to see how open they were to hearing about the Gospel. It was so encouraging, and more uplifting than the responses in Idaho's follow up. We arrived back to our host home in the Tri-Cities last night.

So I know that may be a lot to swallow, but there's a basic synopsis of the week. We're pretty much catching up today, and there's a youth game night at one of the churches in the area that we're invited to. Hopefully we can go; things are still up in the air, as usual :) Also, I hear we're suppose to go ice-blocking tomorrow and the KBC youth wanted to throw a party for us!! How sweet! But we'll see.

And now for some additional lessons God has been showing me :) While weedwhacking (because there's not much to think about while you're weedwhacking), God spoke to me through my actions. How easy is it to chop down something so beautiful, after it has taken so long to grow, after much care and love has been put into it? With a rotating piece of nylon cord serving as a blade on the weedwhacker, it seemed so simple to chop down flowers and plants; so it is with our words. I haven't been so careful in what I've muttered throughout the week; it's been so easy to fall into complaining and gossip. God showed me through those plants how my words may also cut down others and how powerful they can be. I thought that was pretty cool. Also, as I picked up trash, there were times when I wanted to skim over an area where there were a lot of tiny, tiny pieces of plastic and such, since I felt it doesn't matter or no one would notice. But I remembered Colossians 3:23 - "whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men". I wasn't doing this for my supervisors or anyone else; I was serving God, and this is the attitude I had? Things have really been put into perspective for me, and though I felt ashamed of myself and I may have not enjoyed the work in particular, it was a much needed reminder of why I was here.

Please continue to pray for just everything. I think that covers everything, hahaha... But I'm just so weak and exhausted, and any prayer is greatly appreciated at this point. Thank you for all your prayers and encouragement. You don't know how much it means to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment